x
 Use Facebook account
or
Register  \/ 
x
 Use Facebook account
or

REFEREE PRODUCTS

Our forum is proudly sponsored by #1 Referee Store in the world: www.RefereeStore.com

TOPIC: Big Game Ahead

Big Game Ahead 2 years 4 months ago #32169

Today I was assigned a few finals game of a fairly big tournament in Missouri. Ages are u13, u14, and u15. I have not done any big finals matches up until this point so these are pretty big games for me. I know both assistant I will have and they are less experienced than me, and they are pretty nervous. I am more excited than nervous but of course there's always some nerves there with all new things. All advice for myself is appreciated, and anything I should cover specifically other than the normal stuff in my pregame with them? Thanks a ton!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Big Game Ahead 2 years 4 months ago #32172

You should always give a pregame no matter how big or how small. Some specific stuff you should include what you want your AR's to do and how you as a team will handle situations that could possibly. IE, whose looking for what or doing on subs, pks, free kicks, in and out of bounds, mass confrontation, recording events, what is the game plan if there is a tie (who handles what? ie going to kicks have the 4th and ar1 handle the teams to make sure no leaves or enters the field), what you plan on doing at the end of the game (for me personally in my pregame, I tell my AR's to jog to a predetermined location and we leave field as a team, however at the youth level it isn't uncommon to see refs sticking around to shake the coaches hands, if you are going to stick around, you should group up as a team)

And where's my reward for the longest run-on sentence? :) hope it gives you some ideas to include in your pregame.

Big Game Ahead 2 years 4 months ago #32180

Just curious, you have 3 center finals assignments on the same day?

If you have the same AR's then make sure you are all talking at halftime and between games, pick up on anything you need help with so that on the last game when all 3 of you should be pretty well wiped out you can really help each other out.

If you don't have the same crew please make sure as Mark said to have a pregame even if you start a couple of minutes late. The tournament will be screaming at you to start on time however you can not serve the match or the Game well with no pregame. Pick a few things you need (very few) and cover anything weird for the tournament (ROC things) and touch on the regular stuff to make sure you are all on the same page.

Best of luck, especially if you have 3 centers back to back to back!

Big Game Ahead 2 years 4 months ago #32182

Anthony,

You got to where you received this game because of the way you referee. Don't change anything because it is a big game. It is another game you are refereeing and you already have a method that works. Stick to it.

Mention to your AR's that this is a big game for the teams and watcj fpr players who are too hyped that we may need to help calm down. As Mark said, review what do do in the event of a tie. I was AR on a final that ended tied and the center referee hadn't thought about it. Luckily, the other AR and I both knew what to do and managed the players. I was AR2 and gathered the player at the circle while AR1 blocked any additional players from entering the field...while the center looked confused. He came to me and asked me what next. Not sure how he ended up centering a final but it worked only because the two AR's already knew what to do without the center's direction. Don't count on your AR's knowing how to handle KFTM and be sure to know if you have any OT periods before KFTM and do you have Golden Goal or play the entire OT period (assuming there is one).

Go and enjoy refereeing what will likely be a very good game with skilled teams. Those are always fun games to referee.

Big Game Ahead 2 years 4 months ago #32207

Sorry for the late replies everyone, school has been wild the last few days, my three games are spread out throughout the day, and the crew is the same all three games, I am close with both ARs. These games go straight to kicks from the mark after a tie, and we have already worked out who will do what in that event. Thank you to all for your suggestions, and I do a pregame before every game, I just wanted to make sure this one was crystal clear, I am excited for the games, I'll keep everyone posted on how they go.

Big Game Ahead 2 years 4 months ago #32261

This is my advice from taking charge of finals before;

1.) Always referee the same as you do throughout the season (They obviously have selected you for a reason)
2.) The match temperature will be a bit higher, so you do have to be aware of that. (My game plan is always clamp down early and then loosen the grip as we go). Again whatever works for you to control the game!
3.) Always have a pre game with your Assistant Referee just to make sure you are all on the same page (Special rules of competition, tendencies, what you expect out of your ARs')

Lastly... Enjoy! This will be an exciting time for you, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Luke Allinson

Big Game Ahead- Update 2 years 4 months ago #32281

UPDATE:

All 8 games this weekend went really well! The 4 finals today all went to KFTM, which went smoothly, and even though 7 of the 8 games were very intense, our crew maintained in control of all of them. This weekend was a really good experience, thanks to everyone for their imput!

Comments