x
 Use Facebook account
or
Register  \/ 
x
 Use Facebook account
or

REFEREE PRODUCTS

Our forum is proudly sponsored by #1 Referee Store in the world: www.RefereeStore.com

TOPIC: Advice for new 11v11 referee

Advice for new 11v11 referee 3 years 1 week ago #24121

For the last two years I have mostly done 8v8 games, with the occasional AR job on 11v11. I am looking to start doing more full sided 11v11 games, and was curious to differences you notice with the older ages vs. younger, as I play soccer too I somewhat understand them, but not from a refereeing standpoint. Any tips or advice on how to correctly manage the 11v11 game, or the mechanics involved would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Advice for new 11v11 referee 3 years 1 week ago #24124

Your going to have to run a lot more.

Advice for new 11v11 referee 3 years 1 week ago #24136

Totally different game. 8 v 8 small sided games have much less aggressive play, much easier to see everything. Don't even have offside offenses. You will run (much) more, much faster, and hopefully you've AR'ed enough games to appreciate the differences in trifling fouls physical play at the older level.

OTOH it's a lot more fun :)

Advice for new 11v11 referee 3 years 1 week ago #24137

• Brendan Mitchell
Confidence will be a big thing. If you don't have it, 'fake it til you make it' is helpful. Also, find a senior referee who is willing and able to act as a mentor to give you some feedback, if at all possible.

Advice for new 11v11 referee 3 years 1 week ago #24149

• Crwys Harris
The more games you do the more experience you get and the more things you will see.

Advice for new 11v11 referee 3 years 1 week ago #24150

Running will not be any problem, our 8v8 games actually do have offside all the way down to u8. I have confidence and have no doubt I will adapt quickly, and learn from mistakes. Thanks everyone!

Advice for new 11v11 referee 3 years 1 week ago #24152

Let us know how it went.

Advice for new 11v11 referee 3 years 6 days ago #24215

In 8vs8, there tends to be more chasing after the ball and less tactical reasoning at work with younger kids.
11 vs 11 the game tends to be tighter with a higher degree of tactical play and formations. You usually have to adapt your position as a CR to the styles of play i.e. last week, I had two U19 teams play with deep defenses and use the long ball. If I was trying to stay 10-20 yards from the play, I would have made 200 40-50 yard sprints in the game because the ball was pinging back and forth.
I would also emphasize the pregame with your AR's. You need to know them and their capabilities because you should be relying on them, hopefully you will have some experience there.

Advice for new 11v11 referee 2 years 11 months ago #25690

It has been a month and I actually ran my first 2 11v11 games. I also gave my first red card of my life within 6 minutes of the first game for a clear DOGSO foul. Last defender actually dove and grabbed the attackers foot on the break away, he was walking before I even pulled the card. Overall, the games went very well, the additional running wasn't a problem in my case, and I liked the added challenge of doing older games even as a younger referee. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Comments