x
 Use Facebook account
or
Register  \/ 
x
 Use Facebook account
or

REFEREE PRODUCTS

Our forum is proudly sponsored by #1 Referee Store in the world: www.RefereeStore.com

TOPIC: Madder than A Hornet-CR fails to Control Coach,-AR pays the price...

Madder than A Hornet-CR fails to Control Coach,-AR pays the price... 3 years 2 months ago #22374

U14M game this past weekend, I'm AR on Coaches side. Coach protests 4-5 offside calls (all were correct),- each time the Coach gets louder(public), and on the final protest, public and provocative. The CR failed to admonish the Coach for this (Law 5, multiple breakages)- persistent, public, and last-provocative)--leaving me "{hanging out to dry." If I had been CR I would had asked (early) for his (Coaches) cooperation,, told him, ( later), he would stop, and I would have dismissed him, no question, if he didn't. None of this occurred with this CR.

. This CR had a duty to protect the Laws and his AR's- he did neither.
We all know this type of Coaches will go on and do the same thing next week to the next crew until stopped.

I didn't take it up after the game (being diplomatic), but the CR was "clueless", or just not able to confront a Coach.
I won t report to the Assignor,- no desire to "blackball a colleague."
Lets all enforce the Laws, protect our ARs, and the Spirit of the Game. Don t let Coachs violate Law 5!
THANKS guys,-- had to vent. Sam (Grade 7)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Madder than A Hornet-CR fails to Control Coach,-AR pays the price... 3 years 2 months ago #22379

• Brian Benbrook
I always try to be aware of coaches comments and the effect on the ARs and peoples perception of the ARs, whether they are young or older ARs but especially when working with the younger ones. Some coaches think that it's okay to "think out loud" if they aren't talking directly to anyone. But if the players and spectators can hear it, it has the potential to make the ARs look bad. I will address the coach if needed.

Madder than A Hornet-CR fails to Control Coach,-AR pays the price... 3 years 2 months ago #22384

• Crwys Harris
samuel h sim wrote:
U14M game this past weekend, I'm AR on Coaches side. Coach protests 4-5 offside calls (all were correct),- each time the Coach gets louder(public), and on the final protest, public and provocative. The CR failed to admonish the Coach for this (Law 5, multiple breakages)- persistent, public, and last-provocative)--leaving me "{hanging out to dry." If I had been CR I would had asked (early) for his (Coaches) cooperation,, told him, ( later), he would stop, and I would have dismissed him, no question, if he didn't. None of this occurred with this CR.

. This CR had a duty to protect the Laws and his AR's- he did neither.
We all know this type of Coaches will go on and do the same thing next week to the next crew until stopped.

I didn't take it up after the game (being diplomatic), but the CR was "clueless", or just not able to confront a Coach.
I won t report to the Assignor,- no desire to "blackball a colleague."
Lets all enforce the Laws, protect our ARs, and the Spirit of the Game. Don t let Coachs violate Law 5!
THANKS guys,-- had to vent. Sam (Grade 7)

Got a question for you. How old are you? It sort of answers what my advice to you would be in this situation.

Madder than A Hornet-CR fails to Control Coach,-AR pays the price... 3 years 2 months ago #22393

Samuel, assuming this was not handled in the pre-game, when the coaches behavior becomes inappropriate and the center is not handling it, you must raise and hold your flag until the center official acknowledges you. Call him over and tell him that you request the coach be asked to behave, be told to behave, or needs to be dismissed.

For less experienced coaches and A/R's, I tell my A/R's in pre-game that they can do ask and if I get called over I'm doing Tell and the next time Dismiss (or yellow then red in the case of high school and college). If its a premier level match with strong A/R's and professional coaches, I'm telling my A/R's they can do ask and tell and if they call me over, I'm dismissing the coach. I try to handle Ask-Tell-Dismiss as a center without needing the A/R but I still give them that authority.
USSF Grade 6

Madder than A Hornet-CR fails to Control Coach,-AR pays the price... 3 years 2 months ago #22415

Last weekend in a U12 girls match, a close offside goes unflagged by AR1. Coach - quiet up until now - yells OFFSIDE and starts moving towards AR1 with his arm raised yelling about the call. I immediately used my most commanding drill seargent voice from midfield, "COACH. COACH. THAT IS E-NOUGH!!!" He stopped in his tracks and returned to his tech area. You could hear a pin drop as my voice was loud enough to quiet the parents too. Coach came up at half and apologized to me and AR1 for "losing it."

Madder than A Hornet-CR fails to Control Coach,-AR pays the price... 3 years 2 months ago #22419

You are a senior referee. What grade is was the referee? No matter what grade, you need to stand up for yourself during the game and call him over to address this issue with the coach. If that fails, you need to tell the referee after the game that the coach was out of control and he/she needed to deal with it. I would report the coach's behavior to the assignor. They may be able to deal with the club so it does not happen again. You could also deal with it through the referee organization if applicable. Walking away and doing nothing does not help anyone, especially the players and the spectators of that coach's game. The coach will do this again, and if you do nothing, it will likely get worse. As a senior referee, we are expected to mentor and assist other referees.

I assume you are talking about a USSF sanctioned match. I know this is a minor point, but as we move up, we need to use the right terminology in the laws of the game. There is a referee and 2 assistant referees. There is no center referee in a USSF match.

Madder than A Hornet-CR fails to Control Coach,-AR pays the price... 3 years 2 months ago #22426

I am deaf in one ear. Most of the time, I cannot hear or tell what coaches/parents may be yelling or saying. Therefore, in my pre-game, I tell ARs to notify me of any such behavior and I will cheerfully handle it. As an AR, if I hear inappropriate things, I will call the CR over to handle.
John M. Bonelli
USSF Grade 7 Referee
USSF Assignor - Jackson Futbol Club

Comments