x
 Use Facebook account
or
Register  \/ 
x
 Use Facebook account
or

REFEREE PRODUCTS

Our forum is proudly sponsored by #1 Referee Store in the world: www.RefereeStore.com

TOPIC: Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions.

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21462

Hey all.

I'm a new ref, and while I like to think I'm a decent one (the refs I've worked with seem to agree), I find myself encountering new situations almost every game. Some of them I know how to deal with based on the Laws or ATR, but others aren't so clear cut. Today I was reffing a High School Girls JV game, and made (what I think) is a good, but controversial no-call. The situation was as follows:

Green is attacking, and one of their players hits a powerful ball into the penalty area directly at a white player's chest. The white player instinctively moved her arms in front of her "soft tissue," the ball struck her arms and bounced away to the side of the box. I did not see any attempt to play the ball beyond protecting said "soft tissue," and in my head, I equated this to a male player covering his groin and did not call a hand-ball. Was I right in this allowance, or should I have called the hand-ball and awarded a penalty kick?

Second, this is less specific, but I awarded a free kick to green midway into their attacking half. White #7 immediately moved to stand directly in front of the ball. I (about 4 or 5 yards away) immediately started moving towards White 7 and instructed her to move back ten yards. The Green player taking the kick then said "Yeah, 10 yards, Seven" and stepped towards her while posturing in an aggressive manner, a motion White 7 then returned. I sprinted to close the distance (really only three or four steps at this point) and issued White 7 a very strongly worded "I don't want to see this ever again" warning while walking her back the 10 yards. My question here: Was I right in issuing the warning, or should I have automatically pulled my yellow?

Third, (not a question, but a small anecdote) I gave a girl a yellow card for a reckless slide tackle from behind, and she started to cry, and I felt bad. In my head it was a clear yellow, but I was definitely not prepared for tears.

Fourth, this one from a boys JV HS rivalry game that got rather heated: Early in the game, after beating the defense and making a strike on goal, which was saved out for a corner, an attacking player said loudly, "Hey Coach, I think that was a milkshake!" While I have no idea what "that was a milkshake" means (being out of touch with today's youth at the ripe age of 20) it occurred to me that this could be meant as taunting which, under NFHS rules, is a straight red. Obviously as I wasn't sure, I didn't show a card. Does anybody have any idea what this means? Should I have shown red for that comment?

Thanks in advance for your answers, I'm looking forward to reading everyone's take on these.
USSF Grade 8, Oregon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21463

For your first situation....since this is a High School (aka scholastic) it is indeed a handball and a PK should have been issued. High school and USSF are two DIFFERENT RULES!

As for the 2nd situation, I would have talked to green as well since it was green's comment that precipitated the infraction. I think the stern talking too was appropriate but you should have talked to green as well!

Third: Who cares about the tears!

Fourth: I have no idea as I haven't heard it anywhere in Illinois! Could be that he owes him a milkshake? Just guessing though! LOL

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21472

What's the difference between NFHS rules and the LOTG as to handling?

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21475

Lawrence A. Kehoe wrote:
For your first situation....since this is a High School (aka scholastic) it is indeed a handball and a PK should have been issued. High school and USSF are two DIFFERENT RULES!
Greg Lowell wrote:
What's the difference between NFHS rules and the LOTG as to handling?

There is no difference of any consequence between the LOTG and NFHS Rules in regards to handling. Its a judgement call that must consider the skill level of the players to determine if it is intentional handling. Sounds like the player did not make herself bigger with her arms so that suggests no call. The player did move her arm into the path of the ball so it is possibly handling. Comes down to whether or not the player had the time to play it correctly. If its a "OMG I'm going to get nailed" moment and the movement is completely reflexive and there's no attempt to really play the ball, I'd tend to not call it in JV high school. If the ball is lofted in and there's all the time in the world for the player to chest the ball correctly but they decide to bring an arm up anyway, I'd tend to call handling. Still need to consider the skill level of the players as some JV can be very low level.
USSF Grade 6

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21477

Jason Stratton wrote:
Comes down to whether or not the player had the time to play it correctly. If its a "OMG I'm going to get nailed" moment and the movement is completely reflexive and there's no attempt to really play the ball, I'd tend to not call it in JV high school.

Thanks Jason, this is essentially what happened, and why I didn't call it. I'm curious, would you call the PK every time in Varsity HS or higher, or is there still a level of judgement to this situation?
USSF Grade 8, Oregon

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21480

Huh Zachary Kay? I will refer you to Rule 12 Section 2 Situation C:
A2 kicks a low hard pass to his/her teammate; (a) B2, a male player who is in the path of the ball, moves his hand to protect his groin and the ball touches his hand; (b) B2, a female player who is in the path of the ball, moves her hand to protect her chest and the ball touches her hand.

RULING: Illegal in both (a) and (b) for deliberately handling the ball

As such, you should have blown for handling per NFHS interpretations.

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21484

Lawrence A. Kehoe wrote:
Huh Zachary Kay? I will refer you to Rule 12 Section 2 Situation C:
A2 kicks a low hard pass to his/her teammate; (a) B2, a male player who is in the path of the ball, moves his hand to protect his groin and the ball touches his hand; (b) B2, a female player who is in the path of the ball, moves her hand to protect her chest and the ball touches her hand.

RULING: Illegal in both (a) and (b) for deliberately handling the ball

As such, you should have blown for handling per NFHS interpretations.

I really wish the NFHS would come more in line with FIFA/USSF rules. I enjoy doing HS games during the week (dual ref system :( ), but often have to grit my teeth over some of the calls NFHS forces me to make. Case in point: last Thursday, GJV game, white making a nice run down the line with threat for a cross, 40min shows on my watch, I blow the whistle. White coach is furious that I ended the half. I was sympathetic, but explained to him that this is high school where the clock is king. He should know the rules as a HS coach. On one of my weekend games I would have let the play continue and would probably have been adding a minute or 2 of stoppage time. thank goodness on weekends it's back to USSF.

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21489

I am in full agreement Mike! I had similar issues with clock and coaches being upset when I blow it ending either the half or game. I just point to my watch to indicate that time is up. Even worse, when the horn goes off if they are utilizing the scoreboard and they still get mad! Ugh!!!!!

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21516

Thanks for the quote, Lawrence. I agree with you and Mike about wishing NFHS was more in line with the FIFA laws, because that's an ugly call to have to make.
USSF Grade 8, Oregon

Girls JV High School Match Raised Some Questions. 3 years 3 months ago #21521

Your welcome Zachary! I remember something similiar in the rule book and thought I post it to help clarify that yes it was indeed handling per rule. People are trying to get NFHS more in line with FIFA with some but not a lot of success!

Comments