x
 Use Facebook account
or
Register  \/ 
x
 Use Facebook account
or

REFEREE PRODUCTS

Our forum is proudly sponsored by #1 Referee Store in the world: www.RefereeStore.com

TOPIC: First match ever

First match ever 3 years 5 months ago #20610

Two whole weeks after getting my badge, I'll have my first gig on Sunday: AR2 in a Men's Senior Open (18+) match. I was actually initially assigned as CR, but asked to be switched to an AR spot considering my complete lack of experience. I'm pretty excited to get going since I've been shooting in the dark for assignments and none had come my way yet, and I figure an AR spot on a higher level game is a good way to get my feet wet without (HOPEFULLY) being able to screw up too badly. Is it weird for a first match to be this high level (I'm 27, but still)? Any advice? Even generic platitudes are still useful for me!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First match ever 3 years 5 months ago #20611

The best advice I have received as an AR was that the AR has the worst seat in the house. Yes, you are right on the field, but you should be so focused on that second to last defender that you don't really get to watch the game. Other than that it is just mechanics. Keep the flag in the hand closest to the field. Bring the flag down if you need to switch hands (no switching hands above your head).

It sounds simple, but not ball watching is probably the hardest thing to get. The second is don't be to quick to call offside. Let the play develop for a few extra seconds to make sure that person in an offside position is the one getting the ball. Multiple times I have been too qick with the flag only to see a person in an onside position come out of no where and get the ball.

First match ever 3 years 5 months ago #20613

Relax, once you relax you get confident, know what your CR wants of you, and most importantly of all have fun and enjoy the game.

First match ever 3 years 5 months ago #20614

• Crwys Harris
The best advice I had was every 3 seconds when the attacking team (attacking your half) has the ball look to see where they are and then back again to offside. It gives you a better view of the game etc. If you just watch offside all the time you aren't aware of who kicked/played the ball etc.

First match ever 3 years 5 months ago #20617

When judging a player in an offside position and it's tight, keep the flag down.
Also, don't stand on the touchline. Get in the habit of standing at least 1.5 yards off the touchline. The reasoning for this is if you're further back from the field, you'll see the touchline in your peripheral vision and you'll be more square to the field which helps when making an offside decision.

Good luck!
Utah - Grade 6
Let's Enjoy

First match ever 3 years 5 months ago #20618

Karsten Gillwald wrote:
Also, don't stand on the touchline. Get in the habit of standing at least 1.5 yards off the touchline. The reasoning for this is if you're further back from the field, you'll see the touchline in your peripheral vision and you'll be more square to the field which helps when making an offside decision.

Most likely the best piece of AR advice I have gotten.

First match ever 3 years 5 months ago #20619

Only engage with the players when you have to. Adult men players love to try to mess with the heads of referees, especially newer referees. Starting your career with this type of game will be difficult but its also exciting. It takes many referees years of experience before they are allowed to work adult games. I personally love adult games. No parents to deal with and I enjoy the unique game management challenges.

Staying 1.5 yards off the touchline is great advice. If you stay on the line, its easy to wander onto the field on your first few games.

Comments