Login Register

Login to your account

Use Facebook account
or

Create an account * * Required field

Use Facebook account
or
The name you entered is not valid.
Please enter a valid username. No spaces, at least 2 characters and must not contain the following characters: < > \ " ' % ; ( ) &
Password invalid.
The passwords you entered do not match. Please enter your desired password in the password field and confirm your entry by entering it in the confirm password field.
Invalid email address
The email addresses you entered do not match. Please enter your email address in the email address field and confirm your entry by entering it in the confirm email field.

• 1 - PLEASE REGISTER USING YOUR FULL NAME (FIRST & LAST) OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED!

2 - To avoid spam we moderate every new member's first post/comment. After your first post/comment is approved (usually within minutes), you will be able to post and comment freely without any further delay and moderation by our staff.
    40 Messages ▪ Page 1 of 2
    • Page:
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Rafal Wlazlo
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 303
    • Premium Member
    • "Laws of the Game are hard; they're harder if you're stupid."

emo Female Assistant Referee firmly stands her ground against dissenting player.

Fmr. National Referee
State Assessor
Attachments
Private Message 2014-08-23 19:48:11
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Steve Eordogh
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 87
    • Premium Member

Female Assistant Referee firmly stands her ground against dissenting player.

Holy crap! why in the world it took that referee sooooo long to get there and deal with it? I would feel VERY uncomfortable in her shoes! (even being a guy).

All I would advise her is to take a step back, and give the player a moving target.

Girl's got some cojones though! I love it! I'm a fan of female referees, we need more of them
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Michael Janosko
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 11
    • Premium Member

Agree...she needed to move away from him.

And IMHO his teammate #9 deserves a Caution for Dissent as well.... hand gestures can be seen by ALL, while words are more limited. Clearly disrespectful to that AR.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • David Bartel
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 60
    • Premium Member

She did look firm...
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Dan Wilcox
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 2

Proud of her. She stood her ground and was firm. Probably why she isn't part of the 65% of female referees who quit within the first few years.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Emilio Mundula
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 132
    • Premium Member

@David, oh yeah.

She stood her ground even more than most male ARs/Referees. You should never step back, period.

CR should get there immediately to deal with the player and protect his/her AR. AR is too exposed.

As soon as I see a player taking a step toward my AR, I loudly tell him to stop and walk away from my AR or there will be consequences. It, almost always, works like a charm.

@Michael: absolutely agree with #9 being booked for showing dissent by gestures.

@Steve: 11 seconds for the CR to get there. Boy, talk about slow... :-)
**Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a ride!" (Hunter S. Thompson)***
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Rafal Wlazlo
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 303
    • Premium Member
    • "Laws of the Game are hard; they're harder if you're stupid."

I agree that she was right to just stand her ground. Big props to her. I L O V E IT!
Fmr. National Referee
State Assessor
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Steve Salis
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 13
    • Premium Member

Sorry folks, that is Referee Abuse, not Dissent RC Player and at the very least, Caustion #9.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Emilio Mundula
  • More Details
    • Premium Member

Where's the abuse? Verbal? Still a caution. Physical? No where to be seen.

He doesn't touch the AR at all and, you as the CR, more likely cannot hear what the player is saying to your AR. Is he close to your AR? Yup so what?

YC for dissent. IF, and that's a major IF, the AR notifies the CR that swearing or threats were present, then straight Red Card.
**Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a ride!" (Hunter S. Thompson)***
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago

Actually that's assault. At least in the US it is.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Emilio Mundula
  • More Details
    • Premium Member

Lola Inkprice wrote:

Assault? Oh My Lord Almighty... :lol:
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Mark Quinton
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 130
    • Premium Member

Lola Inkprice wrote:

assault requires physical contact.
#1 Armchair Referee
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Emilio Mundula
  • More Details
    • Premium Member

Mark Quinton wrote:
Lola Inkprice wrote:

assault requires physical contact.

Thank you, Mark.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago

From Legal Match:

Many people are familiar with the term “assault and battery”, and battery is often confused with assault. However, assault is a separate charge from battery. It is generally defined as an attempted battery. Alternatively, it can be defined as “the intentional creation of a reasonable apprehension of harm”.

It does not require contact.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Emilio Mundula
  • More Details
    • Premium Member

Since we're entering into the comical endeavor of Laws for something that is not even remotely "Assault", here's the actual legal definition of "Assault":
An assault is any unlawful attempt or offer with force or violence to do bodily harm to another, whether from ill will or extreme carelessness; for example, by striking at or holding up the fist at a person in a threatening or insulting manner, or with other circumstances that evidence an intention, coupled with a present ability, of actual violence against the person, such as by pointing a weapon at him when he is within reach of it. When the injury is actually inflicted, it amounts to a battery.

Getting an inch close to you does NOT constitute "Assault" and that all the player does, along with his verbal dissent.

YC for Dissent.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago

Emilio Mundula wrote:
Since we're entering into the comical endeavor of Laws for something that is not even remotely "Assault", here's the actual legal definition of "Assault":
An assault is any unlawful attempt or offer with force or violence to do bodily harm to another, whether from ill will or extreme carelessness; for example, by striking at or holding up the fist at a person in a threatening or insulting manner, or with other circumstances that evidence an intention, coupled with a present ability, of actual violence against the person, such as by pointing a weapon at him when he is within reach of it. When the injury is actually inflicted, it amounts to a battery.

Getting an inch close to you does NOT constitute "Assault" and that all the player does, along with his verbal dissent.

YC for Dissent.

Say what you like, but in Colorado, this is technically assault. I don't make the laws, I just prosecute people for breaking them.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Emilio Mundula
  • More Details
    • Premium Member

Fine by me if you want to push the envelope for something that didn't happen.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Gwen Keck
  • More Details
    • Thank you received: 1

Emilio Mundula wrote:
@David, oh yeah.

She stood her ground even more than most male ARs/Referees. You should never step back, period.

CR should get there immediately to deal with the player and protect his/her AR. AR is too exposed.

As soon as I see a player taking a step toward my AR, I loudly tell him to stop and walk away from my AR or there will be consequences. It, almost always, works like a charm."

Good comments Emilio. I agree. I have a bit of different perspective on this...as a Referee, that is also a Woman, what I see on the 11 second delay, may be a bit different than most referees. The Referee was not backing his AR, and let her take more than she should have from the player. She had NO cards in her pocket. No matter what the gender is of your AR, you HAVE to back them, or they will be gone. Refer to the earlier comment about losing women officials.

It might be interesting to know what country this Referee was from. I definitely have seen significant differences in the way different cultures treat Women Referees.

On a side note, I recently went to a new Dr. One of the questions...have you ever been verbally abused? I think the answer to that would be the same by all Referees. My husband said they better not ask for details, they would not have enough time for the response.
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago
  • Emilio Mundula
  • More Details
    • Premium Member

Gwen Keck wrote:
Emilio Mundula wrote:

Good comments Emilio. I agree. I have a bit of different perspective on this...as a Referee, that is also a Woman, what I see on the 11 second delay, may be a bit different than most referees. The Referee was not backing his AR, and let her take more than she should have from the player. She had NO cards in her pocket.

No matter what the gender is of your AR, you HAVE to back them, or they will be gone. Refer to the earlier comment about losing women officials.

On a side note, I recently went to a new Dr. One of the questions...have you ever been verbally abused? I think the answer to that would be the same by all Referees. My husband said they better not ask for details, they would not have enough time for the response.

Thanks Gwen but how is it a different perspective when we both agreed that the CR should have been there immediately to protect here and back her up? :)

Verbally abused?

1) Happens every single game from one or two parents; it's almost a rule of thumb and they never last more than 5 minutes in my games.

2) It only happened once, over 6 years ago. Since then, a bit of dissent, once or twice foul language, only once face to face with a Coach. Every time, dealt with it by sucking it up, stand my ground and deal with it in a professional manner and then filing whatever report I need to.

Physical assault? Never happened but I also never gave any reason for one to happen.

:)
  • 8 months 2 weeks ago

Assault?

In my area (central Virginia, USA), yelling at someone within this physical distance could be considered assault (i.e.: of their hearing if nothing else). Note: At that distance & volume the yelling probably included spittle being dispersed at the AR (notice she does lean back some).

Either way, it was "abusive" to the point a straight red card could be considered (much less demanded if there had been even just a little disent by this player prior to this).

Personnaly I would have issued at least a yellow for the one with the hand signals too if I had observed it (or if my AR brought it to my attention). It the hand signal was the equalavent for a well understood swearing (i.e.: the "finger" equals the "F-bomb" stateside) at the AR, then I could go straight red.
    40 Messages ▪ Page 1 of 2
    • Page:
Total Messages: 20468 Total Sections: 1 Total Subjects: 1865 Total Categories: 14
Today Open: 0 Today Total Answer: 2 Yesterday Open: 5 Yesterday Total Answer: 24
Total Users: 1933 Latest Member: Muller Fabbri   More Forum Statistics
You are now being logged in using your Facebook credentials