x
 Use Facebook account
or
Register  \/ 
x
 Use Facebook account
or

REFEREE PRODUCTS

Our forum is proudly sponsored by #1 Referee Store in the world: www.RefereeStore.com
  • Page:

TOPIC: Law 12: parrying the ball

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3262

I don't quite understand what the provision is trying to way in the following under Law 12 concerning handling the ball by the goalkeeper:

"A goalkeeper is not permitted to touch the ball with his hand inside his own
penalty area in the following circumstances:
• if he handles the ball again after it has been released from his possession
and has not touched any other player:
– the goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching
it with any part of his hands or arms except if the ball rebounds
accidentally from him, e.g. after he has made a save
– possession of the ball includes the goalkeeper deliberately parrying the
ball"

This last section has always confused me. Is it saying that if a goalie deliberately parries the ball away, he is considered to have been in possession of the ball and is not permitted to go and pick it up with his hands? I have NEVER seen a goalie been called for a "second touch" after parrying the ball away. Am I reading this wrong or what's going on here? Perhaps, due to the fact that a parry almost always results in some other player touching the ball first, I've never actually seen where the goalie will go and get the parried ball...but it seems I have seen this. Any thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3263

Let me see if I can explain: From the time the goalkeeper is deliberately parrying the ball to the time he picks it up he is considered to have continuous possession of the ball (for the purpose of determining "second touch"). That's why it is allowed.

Does it make sense?

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3273

Ooooh. LOL Got it. I couldn't make sense of the wording. I knew it was allowed, but couldn't justify it by what I was reading. Thank you very much :)

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3295

I had a play once where the ball was coming in high and a attacker was too close for the keeper to head the ball or catch it and bring it in. The keeper reached up and over the attacker and caught the ball in one hand and immediately threw it back up and away. As soon as he landed, he ran around the attacker and caught the ball (an easy move since he knew where he had thrown the ball). I felt that the parry was a good move, but that it was a deliberate and controlled move that ended by releasing the ball. I called the catch a second handling and awarded an IFK.

What is your opinion?

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3298

Dwayne Creech wrote:
I had a play once where the ball was coming in high and a attacker was too close for the keeper to head the ball or catch it and bring it in. The keeper reached up and over the attacker and caught the ball in one hand and immediately threw it back up and away. As soon as he landed, he ran around the attacker and caught the ball (an easy move since he knew where he had thrown the ball). I felt that the parry was a good move, but that it was a deliberate and controlled move that ended by releasing the ball. I called the catch a second handling and awarded an IFK.

What is your opinion?

I think you got it right.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3299

Yes, but you didn't mention the ball hitting the ground. If the ball never hit the ground, then he technically never released the ball, thus was still in possession...right (?)

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3300

What does hitting the ground have to do with it? If the keeper kicks the ball into a head wind and it blows back to him and he catches it again, this is a second touch after a release. (I have had this happen - I did not just make it up.) An intentional toss into the air and a bounce to the ground, both with the intention of receiving the ball back into the hands are examples of maintaining possession; however, to throw, punch, kick or otherwise release the ball ends the possession.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3302

Ahh, time out. You said he "caught" it. (I've been unable to read anything clearly the past few days...must be the heat :P) I understood that he had popped it up in the air (like a volleyball)...which would then raise the question about parrying. The keeper would be considered to still be possession of the ball had he done this?

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3303

My understanding is that hitting the ball "like a volleyball" is what parrying really is. It is a controlled strike that clears the ball away from an attacker. Once this is done, the keeper cannot handle the ball again until someone else touches the ball. In actual play, we give a wide interpretation to deflection vs parrying. There are many times that I believe we give the benefit of any doubt to the keeper and generally call all but the most clearly parrying plays deflections. We have much bigger battles to fight than to create a war with players and coaches over this. However, by the letter of the law, I believe that many if not most "deflections" are really controlled parrying of the ball to a better position for the keeper to then hold the ball. I am not suggestion that I think we should call this differently, but in a discussion between referees, I believe it is good to understand the definitions.

In ATR 12.19 "After relinquishing control of the ball, a goalkeeper violates Law 12 if, with no intervening touch or play of the ball by a teammate or an opponent, he or she handles the ball a second time. This includes play after parrying the ball. Referees should note carefully in the IGR which defines "control" and "possession" and distinguishes a "parry" from an accidental rebound or save.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3304

Yes, but as Rafal pointed out:
Rafal Wlazlo wrote:
From the time the goalkeeper is deliberately parrying the ball to the time he picks it up he is considered to have continuous possession of the ball (for the purpose of determining "second touch").

I tend to agree with this assessment since this is what I've always seen done. It seems FIFA does not view parrying the ball away as "relinquishing control."

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3307

I think I can take at least half of this problem away.

When would you be sure to call a double touch on a keeper? When he's punched the ball.

If he uses his fists rather than open hands to contact the ball... he had no intention of catching the ball and then if he picks it up again then he'd be committing a foul.

I've recently started being a keeper... and I'm trained more as a volleyball player than a soccer player.. so I'm always been vexed by this as well.

Does that jive? Or am I over reading the below...

– the goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching it with any part of his hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from him, e.g. after he has made a save

If you are purposely having it rebound from you... it's not an accident.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3313

• Brendan Mitchell
Hmmm...have to say that I disagree with most of the discussion here. the language specifically says 'released' which indicates he has a hold of it...so if he's holding it, and puts it down, he cant pick it back up. punching, parrying etc...doesn't count IMO, and I've never seen it applied that way.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3314

I tend to agree with Brendan.. Let's say you have a GK who punches the ball... he doesn't punch it very far - it never leaves the penalty area and he scrambles to go pick it up... I've never seen anyone call that and don't believe I ever would have thought to say that he has has "handled the ball" after "relinquishing control."

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3322

That was my main question and I think that, with all that's been said, I now have a grasp of the answer. I have never seen a call where the goalie has cleared the ball away by any means necessary (not including actually taking a hold of the ball as in Dwayne's case) and has been called for "second touch" after retrieving it. The original question was a misunderstanding of the wording by me as pertaining to "parrying." Thanks for the input, guys! Long-time fan, and I always knew the game well, but I have only reffed one year. Some of the finer points escape the fan, so I wanted to be sure I understood the Law correctly.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3324

Folks, I just realized I was misreading the scenario all along. What I was answering to was as if the goalkeeper was picking up the ball after making uncontrolled save/deflecting the ball.

Clearly, we are talking about a deliberate parry of the ball, after which he can not legally handle the ball again.

The reason you don't see it called is because most referees interpret it as deflections, rather than deliberate parries.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3326

OK. So... let me restate it so I'm sure I understand it.

If the goalkeeper has punched or hit the ball away deliberately, this constitutes possession; therefore, if after this PARRY, he goes and picks it up with his hands = "second touch"/IFK for the attacking team.

If the goalkeeper extends his hands/arms/whatevers and makes a SAVE and deflects the ball away, this is NOT considered possession, and he is permitted to pick the ball up with his hands.

Got it! :P

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3327

I think the key terms in determining this is controlled vs. deflection.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3341

• Artur
  • More Details
Christian Lindsey wrote:
OK. So... let me restate it so I'm sure I understand it.

If the goalkeeper has punched or hit the ball away deliberately, this constitutes possession; therefore, if after this PARRY, he goes and picks it up with his hands = "second touch"/IFK for the attacking team.

If the goalkeeper extends his hands/arms/whatevers and makes a SAVE and deflects the ball away, this is NOT considered possession, and he is permitted to pick the ball up with his hands.

Got it! :P

Yeah - I think you summarized it just about right. Simply put, when a goalkeeper deflects the ball he is not/was not in possession of the ball so he is allowed to pick it up. When, on the other other hand, he parries it away, he is considered to have been in possession of the ball and he is not allowed to pick it up with hands.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3344

• Brendan Mitchell
Where is this interpretation of the a deflection=possession coming from? I'm curious, because I have never heard it before.

Law 12: parrying the ball 3 years 11 months ago #3354

• Artur
  • More Details
Brendan Mitchell wrote:
Where is this interpretation of the a deflection=possession coming from? I'm curious, because I have never heard it before.

Brendan, it's the opposite - deflection is NOT possession. Parry=possession.

Comments

• Page: